Sunday, September 7, 2014

August Adventures

August is such a bitter sweet month in the De Blasi house hold. It's the he end of summer and beginning of schedules and routines. I am not going to lie, there is a part of me that really looks forward to going back to work, I do better with schedules and deadlines. The kids love school as well, so being able to get back on that horse again is nice. However, I would really like it if we could have a four day work week. 

August was full of adventure and lots of fun. The big news was that Mike got a new job, same department, new focus. He is now going to be working on removal and fill of things into the rivers in Northern Oregon. The good news is that he will be working closer to home (territory wise) and he is doing something more along the lines of his hydrology degree. He is really happy with what he is doing, which is such a relief after almost 3 years of uncertainty and endless frustration. 

The kids and I finished up the summer with swimming lessons at the neighborhood pool we belong to - Miles is just about there and well, Ella has really been practicing the pole. 





One weekend, after inspiration from Pinterest and one of our coaches at cross fit, we did the Opal Creek hike walk. It is AMAZING, we didn't make it all the way to Sawmill falls (where there is natural rock slides), but we were able to get to the creek and let the kids and dogs swim in some of the most clear water I have ever seen.



Like many towns around here, we spent an evening watching a movie in the park, this one was "Hairspray" - I love Christopher Walken in this movie.


We did another short hike walk up at Silverfalls State Park - I forgot how beautiful and how close it is. The kids were real troopers on this hike - small successes are big deals around here.



We hit up the Hawthorne Ave. Street Fair one weekend, despite the heat - it was pretty fun and I think the kids had a great time (especially Ella in the dress up area). For the record, she dresses herself now - so I am not responsible for the pattern mixing.

The kids are getting into cooking - this was their attempt at cupcakes.


For the third year in a row, we did the Mt. Tabor doggie dash. My favorite run of the year and the first one since October that Mike and the kids made (it seems like someone is always getting sick before the run and I end up having to go by myself). They both ran the whole kids run and a guy came up to me after the run to say that Ella was his favorite runner - he admired her dedication. She is a very determined young lady. After no training all summer, I did the 5k with Tank - we did our fastest time to date, so that felt pretty good.


 We spent an afternoon at the State Fair. Mike got his goat fix (the guy is obsessed). Finally the kids are big enough for rides by themselves - I think they had a pretty good time.






And as always, we spent some time at Minto Brown park with the dogs. Such an amazing place.



Goodbye August, we are really going to miss you. But, for me, I am really looking forward to Fall sun, cool mornings, boots and pumpkins.

No comments:

Post a Comment